Ayurveda Tips For Premature Greying
What is Premature Greying?
The loss or absence of normal hair colour is called ‘achromotrichia’.When the hair greys prematurely, it is called canities. The term ‘premature’ is loosely defined as before 25 years in asians, 30 in africans and 20 in europeans.
What determines the colour of your hair?
Have you ever wondered how the colour of your hair is determined? The colour of your hair is determined by your genes. So are the physiological changes in its colour and thickness as you age. The variety of hair colours among people across the world is vast. That owes to the variations in mixing of two natural pigments called eumelanin and pheomelanin produced inside hair follicles.
- Eumelanin is darker – blackish or brownish
- Pheomelanin colours the hair reddish and yellowish.
What causes greying or premature greying?
Greying of hair is a complex process comprising genetic, nutritional and environmental factors.
The colouring pigments of hair are produced in melanocytes inside the hair follicle and colours are being infused into the keratin of hair. As you age or because of other conditions, the melanin pigments are reduced and hair loses its colour, turning grey or white.
Common causes of premature greying:
- Genetics: Genes control the activity of melanocytes in each hair follicle. The exhaustion of the pigments produced from melanocytes is also controlled by genes. Some of us are coded for rapid exhaustion of the melanocytes, resulting in early greying.
- Stress: Is a factor for temporary and permanent greying of hair as noradrenaline which is released as a stress response accelerates melanocyte depletion.
- Reactive oxygen and free radicals: The free radicals affect hair follicles and melanocytes very rapidly, causing their depletion.
- Smoking: Smoking increases the amount of reactive oxygen species in the body, causing depletion of melanocytes.
- Environmental toxins: Heavy metals, industrial pollutants etc also contribute to oxidative stress and thereby premature greying.
- Radiation: Prolonged exposure to heat and UV radiation is also found to cause greying of hair.
- Nutrition: Good nutrition is essential for lush hair and to retain its natural colour. A deficiency in nutrients like vitamin B12, D3, ferritin, calcium, iron etc are known to speed up greying.
- Health issues: Several autoimmune and inflammatory conditions can affect hair follicles and cause premature greying.
Home remedies to prevent premature greying of hair:
- Take care of your nutrition: Make sure you get enough micronutrients and minerals, along with macronutrients like protein.
- Control blood sugar and weight.
- Exercise helps to keep healthy nutrition levels and for better hormone balance.
- Keep the stress away
- Panchakarma: Doing panchakarma will help you to detox, improve metabolism and enhance nutrition.
- Natural hair care products like Sitaram Narasimham oil will help to preserve the health of hair follicles and prevent premature greying.
Narasimham hair oil is a unique blend of herbs and minerals derived from the time-honoured Rasayana tradition (Concept of rejuvenation), an integral part of Ayurveda. Regular application of oil on the head is a practice endorsed by Ayurveda scriptures.
Narasimham Oil is a unique combination of herbs, derived from ‘ashtanga hrudaya’. The special combination of herbs are mentioned to be rejuvenating and nourishing in general. When made into a hair oil, the unique combination of active ingredients work at different levels to keep the hair follicles nourished and active. These ingredients made of herbal extracts activate and rejuvenate cells in your scalp and ensure that a major proportion of hair stays in anagen (growing) phase and retains full length and natural black colour.
NARASIMHAM HAIR OIL
Narasimham Oil arrests premature greying, prevents hair fall and breakage, strengthens dull and lustreless hair, relieves pain and rigidity in the neck and shoulder region, chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis.
Individuals suffering from sinusitis and fascitis should seek professional advice before using hair oils.