Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles and Fissures
Hemorrhoids/piles are swollen veins in the lowest part of your rectum and anus. The rectum is the last part of the bowel and leads to the anus.
Hemorrhoids are one of the common causes of rectal bleeding.
There are two types of hemorrhoids.
- They develop inside the rectum
- They grow under the skin around the anus.
Causes of haemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids develop due to increased pressure in the lower rectum. The causes are
- Straining during bowel movements.
- Sitting for a long time in the toilet.
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Chronic constipation
- Low fibre diet
- Regular lifting of heavy objects
Signs and Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
The signs and symptoms depend on the type of hemorrhoids
- Bleeding per rectum
- Itching of the anal region
- Pain or discomfort of the anal region
- Swelling of the anal region
- Bleeding per rectum. Bleeding occurs during the bowel movements
Thrombosed hemorrhoids occur when blood pools in an external hemorrhoid and forms a clot. The symptoms include
- A hard lump on the anus
Complications of Piles
- Anaemia -Bleeding lasting for long time results in anaemia.
- Infection – external piles sometimes may get infected.
- Strangulated haemorrhoids- muscles block the blood supply to the prolapsed haemorrhoids causing severe pain. It needs emergency management.
An anal fissure is a small tear within the thin tissue that lines the anal region. It is more common in infants and young adults.
Causes of Anal Fissure
- Passing large or hard stools
- Straining during bowel movements
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Anal intercourse
Symptoms of Anal Fissure
- Severe pain during bowel movements
- Pain after passing the bowel lasting for several hours
- Blood on the stool
- Crack in the skin around the anus
- A skin tag on the skin near the fissure
Prevention of Hemorrhoids and Anal Fissure
- Fibre-rich diet: Whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes are good choices.
- Drink water: Drinking a lot of water prevents the chance of constipation.
- Exercise- Proper exercise increases your bowel movements.
- Non-suppression of urges: Use the toilet as soon as you feel the urge.
- Avoid straining during bowel movements
Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles
Ayurveda considers hemorrhoids as one among the eight Ashtamaha Gadas ( the most critical diseases). Hence great importance is given to the diagnosis and management of hemorrhoids.
The digestive power or the lack of it plays a vital role in the development and progress of hemorrhoids. Accordingly, Ayurveda approaches hemorrhoids more holistically. The treatment protocol aims to prevent, cure and improve the body’s digestion and overall metabolic process.
Ayurvedic Treatment includes
- Herbal medicines
- Invasive procedures
- Lifestyle changes
- Dietary modifications
- Kashayam (decoctions)- Chirivilwadi Kashayam, Gandharvahasthadi Kashayam, Dusprshakadi kashayam, Gugguluthikthakam kashayam.
- Choornams (powders) – Vaiswanara Choornam, Triphala Choornam, Hinguvachadi choornam.
- Arishtams– Abhayarishtam, Duralabharishtam, Danthyarishtam, Thakrarishtam
- Lehyams– Kalyana gulam, Soorana leham, Kutajavaleham
- Gulikas (tablets)- Kankayana vatika
- Ghrutham( medicated ghee) – Sukumaram ghrutham, Dadimadi ghrutham
Avagaha Swedam (Sitz bath)
In this, you sit inside at hip level in warm decoctions. Sitz bath helps to reduce pain and swelling in hemorrhoids and anal fissures.
Kshara Sootra therapy is an Ayurvedic Para surgical technique. Kshara Sutra is an alkaline medicated thread used to treat hemorrhoids and fistula in ano. The thread is prepared from high potency Ayurvedic herbs.
Cauterization (Agni Karma)
Agni Karma is a para-surgical procedure in Ayurveda. In this method, a specific degree of heat is applied over the hemorrhoid mass to cauterize it.
Non-suppression of urges: Ayurveda advises that one should not suppress the cravings like bladder-bowel reflexes, vomiting, tears, etc. It is explained that suppression of bowel reflex can lead to lower abdominal pain, headache, muscle cramps, piles, etc.
Exercise– Proper exercise keeps your bowel movements healthy. It helps to prevent constipation and indigestion.
Dietary modifications/ Home remedies
Intake of fiber-rich diet and many other vegetables advised in Ayurveda.
Butter-milk (Takram): The intake of butter-milk is good in piles and anal fissures.
Elephant foot yam (Sooranam): It is beneficial in treating piles and anal fissures.
Small onion: It is also good in piles and anal fissures.
Horse gram (Kulatham): It is good in piles and anal fissures.
Intake of fruits like pomegranate, gooseberries are also advised.