Post-COVID Immunity Booster in Ayurveda
COVID 19 is the most talked-about subject today in the whole world for all the wrong reasons. Humanity encountered a similar situation about hundred years back in the form of the Spanish flu, which wiped out nearly a hundred million people. Even with advanced medical care, we lost around four million people due to COVID and its complications. It is startling to think how a microscopic organism can hold the whole world to ransom. India, too, has suffered two big waves of COVID. Experts are trying hard to overcome this situation using all methods possible.
What is COVID 19?
Coronavirus disease (COVID 19) is an infectious disease caused by the coronavirus (SARS- Co V- 2). COVID 19 was first identified in the wet markets of Wuhan, China. It is a highly infectious virus, with symptoms ranging from mild flu to the deadly SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). About eighteen crores people affected by COVID 19 virus to date.
Signs and Symptoms of COVID 19
People with COVID 19 experience a mild to severe range of symptoms. In most cases, signs will be mild. Symptoms include
- Loss of taste and smell
- Body aches
- Sore throat
Symptoms that require emergency medical care includes
- Breathing trouble
- Chest pain
- New confusion
- Inability to stay awake
- Pale, grey, or blue-colored skin, lips, or nail beds depending on skin tone
The risk of COVID 19 increases with age.
Certain medical conditions like heart diseases, cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, liver disease, type 1 & type 2 diabetes, chronic kidney diseases, obesity, weakened immune system increase the risk of COVID 19.
Complications of COVID 19
Most people with COVID 19 get better within weeks. But some people experience post covid symptoms.
Long COVID is a range of symptoms that can last weeks or months after first being infected. These symptoms include
- Difficulty in thinking
- Loss of smell and taste
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Body pain
- Depression or anxiety
There occurs multisystem inflammatory syndrome in which there will be inflammation of internal organs.
Post COVID management in Ayurveda
Ayurveda text Charaka Samhita contains several drugs that can use to improve vigor and vitality. Similarly, various medicines and regimens are explained in Ayurvedic texts in the post-infective period. People still suffer from different health issues even after the disease subsided. COVID 19 is notorious in this regard. Many of the symptoms of COVID linger for weeks or even months after the viral load is nil. Hence Ayurveda has a vital role in managing these post-infective conditions.
Some medicines for post covid care include
- Indukantham Kashayam: It is a powerful immune booster
- Amrutotharam Kashayam: If fever persists, Amrutotharam is a good choice
- Nayopayam Kashayam
- Vyaghryadi Kashayam
- Elakanaadi Kashayam
- Vilwadi Gulika
- Sudarsanam Gulika : Sudarsanam Gulika has proven antiviral property.
- Agasthya Rasayanam: a good choice if symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections persist.
Medicated ghee (Ghrutham)
- Indukantham Ghrutham
- Kalyanakam Ghrutham: suitable for post covid stress
Ashwagandha capsules: potent immunomodulator
Ministry of Ayush listed Ashwagandha (500 mg extract or 1-3 gram powder twice daily with warm water for fifteen days or one month). Chyavanaprasham (10 grams with warm water or milk once a day) and Rasayana churna (3-gram powder twice daily with honey for one month or as directed by the physician).
Yoga protocol for post-COVID patients
Ministry of Ayush publishes Yoga protocol for COVID patients. Yoga helps to improve lung capacity and to reduce stress and anxiety. The morning session of thirty minutes includes Tadasana, Urdhva Hastottanasana, Uthana Mandukasana, shoulder rotation, trunk twisting, Ardha Ustrasana, Sasakasana, breathing practices, Pranayama practices, and meditation. The evening session of fifteen minutes includes Savasana, abdominal breathing, thoracic breathing, clavicular breathing, and deep breathing.
Some regular practices which can follow during post COVID care
- Gargle with lukewarm saline water daily.
- Steam inhalation is advised every day or alternate day.
- Try to sleep for at least eight hours at night.
- Try to avoid mental stress.
Immunity promoting drugs in Ayurveda
- Chyavanaprasham: It can be taken daily and is rich in antioxidants. Chyavanaprasham is advised for all age groups.
- C.H. Kwath(Chyavanaprasham decoction): It is safe for diabetic patients.
- Chyavanaprasham Kwath tablet.
- Aswagandharishtam: It can enhance your physical and mental resilience.
- Aswagandha capsules: Aswagandha is a potent immunomodulator.
- Triphala capsules: Triphala is one of the best rejuvenating drugs. Triphala is an immunomodulator.
- Amla capsules: Amla is a known antioxidant.
To buy Immunity Booster in Ayurveda: