Saraswatharishtam – Ayurveda Brain Tonic
What is the renowned ‘Saraswatharishtam’ and how can it help you?
‘Saraswatharishtam’ (or ‘Saraswatharishta’) is one of the most renowned classical ayurvedic medicines having multiple benefits, acting in different organ systems. Though used by doctors for treating certain conditions and diseases, saraswatharishtam can also be used by most people safely to improve memory, brain faculty, attention, vitality, and fertility. The ingredients, method of preparation, and uses of ’Saraswatharishtam’ are described in the classical Ayurveda textbook called ‘Bhaishagya Ratnavali’. It is described under the chapter ‘Rasayana’.
What is Rasayana?
‘Rasayana’ is the branch of ayurvedic medicine that mostly deals with rejuvenation, improving health and vitality, and also with geriatric medicine. Herbs, medicines, and treatment methods explained under ‘rasayana’ will help you to reduce the pace of aging, reverse your biological age, re-invent vitality and enhance mental faculties.
What are the ingredients of ‘Saraswatharishta’ & how is it prepared?
- The main ingredients are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) , Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Vidari (Pueraria tuberosa) , Abhaya – Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Usheera (Vetiveria zizanioides), Shunti – Ginger ( Zingiber officinalis), and Mishi (foeniculum vulgare), all of which are taken in a specific proportion and boiled in prescribed quantity of water in low heat for a specific time.
- Into the decoction thus prepared, a group of other potent herbs are added. Among which includes Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa), Long pepper (Piper longum), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), Vidanga (Embelia ribes) and thin sheets of gold, called gold ‘leaves’.
- After adding the above herbs to the prepared decoction along with honey, it is kept closed in a special vessel for fermentation.
- The medicine will contain about 4% alcohol, produced during fermentation.
- While some pharmacies omit adding gold leaves for controlling the price, Sitaram Saraswatharishtam is prepared in the traditional method, adding all the ingredients, including adequate quantity of gold.
- Though gold is an inert metal, the very fine sheets added while preparing the medicine will disintegrate and is potent and crucial in the beneficial effects of ‘Saraswatharishtam’.
- The gold leaves immersed in honey and other medicines and the fermentation process will enable the synthesis of gold nanoparticles. (3)
What are the benefits of ‘Saraswatharishtam’?
Saraswatharishtam is beneficial in improving different organ systems of the body.
- Nervous system: Saraswatharishtam is a ‘medhya rasayana’. That means it is an excellent medicine to improve alertness, concentration, memory and mental faculty.
- In the treatment aspect, it has neuroprotective action and is useful in managing Alzhimer’s disease, primary parkinsonism, dementia etc. (1,2)
- It is also found in clinical experience that it will reduce stress and its effects and also improve sleep.
- For children Saraswatharishtam is helpful to improve memory and reduce brain fatigue and also reduce problems from attention deficit.
- Reproductive system: Saraswatharishtam is proven to improve sperm morphology and motility in males. Also it improves the hormonal balance and quality of ovum in females.
Other effects: Improvement in general strength, digestion, and vitality are other benefits of the medicine. The antioxidants present in ‘saraswatharishtam’ will also help to reduce cell damage and aging.
Are there any contraindications or side effects:
- There are no contraindications or side effects for ‘Saraswatharishtam’. However, if you have the following conditions, seek the advice of an ayurvedic doctor near you before taking ‘saraswatharishtam’.
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus – as the medicine contains sugar, consult an ayurvedic doctor before taking the medicine.
- Liver disease – ‘Saraswatharishtam’ contains a little quantity of alcohol produced during fermentation. If you have a liver condition, take the medicine only after seeking advice from an ayurveda doctor near you.
- Ulcer – Patients having ulcers may have difficulties with fermented medications. So its better to take consultation before starting ‘saraswatharishtam’.
- Pregnancy and lactation: As the medicine contains very little percentage of alcohol, it is generally avoided during pregnancy and lactation.
- For Children: The medicine is usually advised only after 5 years, but some doctors may prescribe it before that if they seem it will be useful in any specific instances.
Is it safe to use if I am taking any other medication: If you are taking medications affecting the nervous system, psychiatric drugs or other strong medications, it is better to take ‘saraswatharishtam’ only after consultation from a qualified ayurvedic doctor.
If you have any questions about taking saraswatharishtam or if it will be beneficial for you, please feel free to ask in the comments.
SARASWATHARISHTAM WITH GOLD