Benefits of Brahmi- The Medicinal Ayurvedic Herb
Brahmi is a widely used medicinal plant in Ayurveda. Brahmi is a potent memory booster as well as a good Rasayana (rejuvenating) drug. Brahmi is used as a compound drug (Brahmi Ghrutham-medicated ghee) and as a single drug (Brahmi capsule). Due to its highly potent nature, one should take medicinal preparation using Brahmi under strict medical advice.
Description of the plant
Botanical name : Bacopa monnieri
English name: Water hyssop, Indian pennywort
Brahmi is a non-aromatic herb. The leaves are succulent and oblong and are arranged oppositely on the stem. The flowers are small, actinomorphic, and white.
Brahmi commonly grows in marshy areas throughout India, Nepal, Pakistan, China, Vietnam, etc.
Phytochemical Analysis of Brahmi
Phytochemical studies show Brahmi contains phenolic compounds (phenols, tannins, and flavonoids). Brahmi also contains non-phenolic compounds like alkaloids, sterols, resins, terpenoids, quinones, saponins, etc.
The presence of phenolic compounds gives the drug anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory activities.
Phytochemical studies show that plant possesses natural agents that help to prevent carcinogenic progression.
Anti-oxidants are substances that can prevent or slow the damage to cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules or waste substances produced by the body due to environmental and other pressures.
Antimicrobial are substances that can reduce the presence of microbes, such as bacteria and mold.
Substances that reduce inflammation (redness, swelling, and pain) are anti-inflammatory.
Pharmacological properties of Brahmi
Studies show that Brahmi shows the following pharmacological properties
Memory impairment and cognitive defects
Intake of Brahmi improves memory performance and cognitive functions.
Brahmi extract showed relaxation of the tracheal muscle. In addition, Brahmi also showed broncho dilatation properties.
Methanolic extract of Brahmi possesses potential antidepressant activity.
Studies show that Brahmi possesses anticonvulsive activity.
Anti nociceptive activity
Aqueous extract of Brahmi shows analgesic (pain relieving) effect.
The higher dose of Brahmi extract showed the anxiolytic effect. It helps to relieve stress and anxiety.
Ethanolic extract of Brahmi showed the cardio depressive effect.
Brahmi extract shows anti-ulcer and ulcer-healing activities.
Standardized extract of Brahmi shows an anti-stress effect.
The plant also shows a hepatoprotective effect.
Medical uses of Brahmi
- Brain tonic
- Improves liver function
- Cardio-protective- helps to normalize blood pressure
- Boost immunity as it is a potent anti-oxidant
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Useful in sleep disorders
- Beneficial for skin
- Suitable for digestive system: helps to heal the gastric ulcer, reduces bloating of the stomach.
- Broncho dilator: Brahmi is used in the treatment of asthma.
- Hair growth: External use of Brahmi Taila improves hair growth. It prevents premature greying of hair, reduces hair loss and provides nourishment to the scalp.
- Good neuro- tonic
Properties of Brahmi explained in classical Ayurvedic text
- Medhya (Promotes intellect)
- Rasayani (Rejuvenation)
- Swaryam (Clears voice)
- Smrithipradam (Memory booster)
Brahmi is also beneficial in treating skin diseases, anemia, bleeding disorders, cough, edema, and fever.
Ayurvedic Medicines that include Brahmi
Kashayams (Decoctions): Brahmi Drakshadi Kashayam
Tailam (Medicated oil): Brahmi Tailam
- The application of Brahmi Taila overhead provides good sleep and helps to reduce stress.
- This oil helps in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the head and eyes.
- It also promotes hair growth.
Ghrutham (Medicated ghee): Brahmi Ghrutham
Practical indications of Brahmi Ghrutham
- Stress, cognitive deficits, etc.
- Single drugs: Brahmi capsules
- Arishtam: Saraswatharishtam
- Practical indications of Saraswatharishtam
- Memory booster, speech disorders, rejuvenation, pediatric diseases
The dose varies according to the form, person’s age. One should take medicine under strict medical supervision.
Brahmi ghrutham: 10 ml once daily
Brahmi capsules: Two capsules daily
Saraswatharishtam: Children 5-10 drops twice daily after food or as directed by the physician.
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Thyroid problems
To buy Brahmi from Sitaram: