Kottamchukkadi thailam is a gingelly oil-based preparation mentioned in the ‘Sahasrayoga – Tailaprakarana’. It is indicated for external application. It is found to have specific efficacy relieving deep tissue inflammation, edema and pain. It is a simple combination of Vata-hara drugs in a nourishing and warming Sesame oil base.
Abhyanga or ‘massage’ is an important part of the Dinacharya (Daily routine) prescribed by Ayurvedic literature. Scriptures suggest the use of suitable oils massaged in the direction of hair growth and around joints, to pacify aggravated doshas and maintain balance.
Features and benefits of Kottamchukkadi Thailam –
- Sesame oil infused with the healing properties of Kottam (Saussurea costus), Chukku (Zingiber officinale), Vayambu (Acorus calamus), Lasuna (Allium sativum), Sigru (Moringa oleifera), Siddarthaka (Brassica juncea), and Rasna (Alpinia galanja).
- Kottamchukkadi thailam on application warms the joints and muscles, stimulates blood circulation and promotes tissue repair and healing.
- Applied to painful joints, it relieves pain and inflammation. Kottamchukkadi thailam is extensively used in supporting the treatment of all kinds of rheumatic disorders.
- Kottamchukkadi Thailam draws out deep tissue swelling and oedema. Sigru and Siddhartaka have a special role in this diuretic aspect.
- It is an excellent remedy for pain, rigidity and loss of mobility due to different kinds of degenerative arthritis. Devadaru and Lasuna have distinct analgesic properties.
- Abhyanga (self massage) with Kottamchukkadi thailam helps in calming the Vata element throughout the body. It invigorates the skin and the nervous system.
- Massage with the oil stimulates blood circulation and lymphatic drainage. Thereby Kottamchukkadi thailam helps to deliver the medicinal properties of the taila to deeper tissues. It is used very effectively to support the treatment of palsies, muscle wasting, nerve debility, muscular pain, cramps and aches.
Dosage & Directions for Use
Quantity sufficient based on the area of application.
For self-massage, Kottamchukkadi thailam should be warmed and massaged in smooth continuous strokes over the entire body, going round the joints several times.
Suitable for all ages.
KOTTAM (Sassurea luppa)
Kuth helps to improve digestion by preventing the growth of bacteria in the large intestine due to its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Taking Kuth powder along with honey is an effective home remedy for indigestion. It’s consumption helps reduce abdominal pain and inflammation associated with dysentery due to its anti-inflammatory property. Kuth powder also helps in the management of asthma by promoting the removal of sputum from the air passages due to its expectorant activity which helps ease breathing. Kuth also helps manage cholesterol levels by lowering the levels of total cholesterol in the body due to its antioxidant property. As per Ayurvedic literature, Kuth oil when mixed with coconut oil might be useful in managing bone and joint pain. It also helps heal scars and other skin associated infections due to its strong healing activity. In some cases, excessive intake of Kuth might cause acidity. Also, it might cause allergic reactions such as dermatitis due to its hot potency.
NAGARA (Zingiber officinale)
Very effective drug in reducing flatulence and bloating of abdomen. It is very much effective in both fresh and dried form. Dry ginger powder helps in digestion and elimination of toxins. It acts as an anti-diarrhoeal and anti-dysentric. It improves bone health, relieving pain and inflammation in joints.
VACHA (Acorus calamus)
According to Ayurveda, taking Vacha along with honey on a daily basis helps manage speech disorders due to its Vata balancing and Medhya properties. It’s consumption also helps in the management of cough by promoting the removal of sputum from the air passages due to its expectorant activity. Vacha also helps improve memory by fighting against cell damage caused by free radicals due to its antioxidant property. This improves behavioral changes, memory and mental performance as well. It also helps remove kidney stones by increasing the production of urine due to its diuretic activity. .
SHIGRU (Moringa Oleifera)
It is commonly used for the treatment of diabetes. It can also be used for the treatment and prevention of cancer. The use of this plant can be beneficial in the management of high cholesterol and arsenic toxicity.
DEVADARU (Cedrus deodara)
Himalayan cedar.it is very effective in neurological disorders, asthma, pruritus, infested wound. Devadaru is also effective in arthritis and headache.
Speciality: 100% Natural. Purely herbal. Vegetarian.