Narayana Thailam is a medicated oil described in the Ayurvedic classical textbook Bhaishajyaratnaavali. It is explained in the context of ‘Vatavyadhi’, or diseases arising from deranged ‘Vata dosha’ in the system.
This medicated oil is a combination of several herbs like Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa), Dasamoolam etc. in a warming base of sesame oil.
Narayana Thailam is commonly used in musculoskeletal disorders and degenerative diseases. It is one of the widely acclaimed for its pain-relieving effect. Commonly used for Abhyanga (body massage).
Features and benefits of Narayana Thailam –
- Narayana Thailam is commonly used for different treatment procedures in Ayurveda like Abhyangam (massage), Kizhi, Dhara (pouring of oil over the body) etc.
- It is beneficial in the management of inflammatory diseases of joints.
- The formulation is also effective in the management of musculoskeletal disorders. It heals and revives the body tissues naturally.
- Narayana Thailam is widely practiced in the management of nervine degenerative diseases.
One can use sufficient quantity of Narayana Thailam for massage.
Dasamoolam contains roots of ten plants. They are-
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Agnimantha (Premna serratifolia)
- Shyonakam (Oroxylum indicum)
- Patala (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea)
- Brihati (Solanum indicum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Prishniparni (Uraria picta)
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris)
Dasamoola is anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, analgesic, antispasmodic, adaptogenic, antioxidant, neuroprotective, uterine tonic etc.
PUNARNAVA (Boerhaavia diffusa)
The plant possesses pharmacological activities like immunomodulatory, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, hepatoprotective, etc.
JATAMANSI (Nardostachys jatamansi)
Jatamansi possesses tranquilizing activity, hypotensive, anticonvulsant, neuroprotective, anti-ischemic properties.
KUSHTAM (Saussurea lappa)
It is known for its anti-ulcer, anticonvulsant, hepatoprotective, anti-arthritic, antiviral activities.
RASNA (Alpinia Galanga)
The plant has stimulant, carminative, aphrodisiac and anti-inflammatory properties. Rhizome is the part used.
ASWAGANDHA (Withania somnifera)
The pharmacological activities of Aswagandha include antimicrobial, anti-cancer, immunomodulatory, neuroprotective, stress-relieving activities.
There are no reviews yet.