Sukumara Rasayanam is a unique rejuvenative formulation that can be easily administered across different ages, sexes, body constitutions and pathological conditions. With its main ingredient as Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa), Sukumara Rasayanam works beautifully in restoring the fluid and doshic balance within the body, operating from the region of the Apana.
‘Sukumara’ is a Sanskrit word that has specific implications in Ayurvedic literature. It denotes an individual who is delicate in constitution and sensitive to the rigors of daily life. In the present day, it can be equated with individuals who are accustomed to a sedentary life, not capable of complying to strict diet restrictions and medicine, and with a sensitive body constitution in general.
Features and benefits of Sukumara Rasayanam –
- Sukumara Rasayanam is a combination of Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa), Dasamoola (the group of ten anti-inflammatory drugs), Trnapanchamoola (the group of five diuretics), Hapusha (Sphearanthus indicus), Pippali & Pippalimoola (Piper longum), Yashtimadhu (Glycirrhiza glabra), Madhuca (Madhuca longifolia), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Jeevanthi (Holostemma ada-kodien), Erandamoola (Ricinus communis) and Aswagandha (Withania somnifera) in a nourishing and carminative base of Erandataila (Castor oil), Ghrita (Ghee), Guda (Jaggery) and Paya (Cow’s milk).
- Castor oil as a base has specific action in the pelvic region. In Sukumara Rasayanam, the base is a combination of ghee, castor oil, jaggery and cow’s milk. It is hailed by Ayurvedic physicians for its efficacy in managing tissue growths and herniations in the abdominal and pelvic regions.
- It acts as mild laxative and relieves pelvic congestion. Maybe used safely even in a child to overcome constipation and difficulty in micturition.
- Punarnava along with Dasamoola endows the formula with excellent anti-inflammatory property. Sukumara Rasayanam is a good remedy for chronic inflammatory disorders of the gut and bowel.
- It is very beneficial in improving renal health. It maintains fluid – electrolyte balance in the body, in patients weakened by age and disease.
- Sukumara Rasayanam restores hormonal balance in women.
- It is a good carminative. It primes up the function of Apana Vayu at its Sthana. It improves digestive function and metabolism. It is used widely in the management of metabolic syndrome.
- Sukumara Rasayanam is effective in the management of prostate enlargement, micturition defects in men.
Adult: 10-15 gms of Sukumara Rasayanam at bedtime, ideally followed by a glass of warm milk.
Child: 3-5 gms of Sukumara Rasayanam at bedtime, ideally followed by a glass of warm milk.