Ksheerabala thailam is a medicated oil described in the Ayurvedic classical text book Ashtangahrudaya. The Tailam is explained in the context of ‘Vatasonitha Chikitsa’ or the treatment of ailments brought about by circulatory defects. Bala (Sida cordifolia) is processed in milk and sesame oil, in this simple but effective formula.
Ksheerabala thailam is a widely practised Ayurvedic medicine because of its multi-dimensional therapeutic effect. This is used as both internal and external medicine.
Features and benefits of Ksheerabala Thailam –
- Ksheerabala thailam is effective in the treatment of inflammatory conditions of head and eyes.
- The product is mostly prescribed in the period of convalescence. Massage using this oil helps to regain strength and vitality.
- It effectively overcomes general weakness and debility.
- The Ksheerabala thailam formulation is beneficial in the management of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Ksheerabala thailam is also effective in the management of degenerative disorders . It heals and nourishes the unhealthy tissue.
- Ksheerabala thailam is extensively used in Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Abhyanga (massage), Sirodhara (pouring medicated oil over head), Pottalies (Kizhi), medicated enema (Basti) etc. based on the condition.
- Mode of administration depends on the condition of patient and the disease.
Modes of administration are Abhyanga (massage), Paana (as an internal medicine), Nasya (Nasal drop) and Anuvasana (medicated enema) depending on the condition. Dosage as directed by the physician.
For body massage, a sufficient quantity of Ksheerabala thailam can be used, based on the area of application.
BALA (Sida cordifolia)
Sida cordifolia is a known tonic, astringent, emollient, and aphrodisiac. The drug is a major ingredient of several formulations in Ayurveda.
TILA TAILAM (Sesame oil)
Sesame is an important source of phytonutrients such as omega-6 fatty acids, flavanoid phenolic anti-oxidants, vitamins, dietary fibre with potential medicinal effects. Sesame oil is composed of fatty acids like linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid.
DHENUKSHEERA (Cow’s milk)
Cow’s milk is a good source of calcium, protein, vitamins and iodine.