Mahamasha thailam is a medicated oil described in the Ayurvedic classical textbook Sahasrayogam. This medicated oil is a combination of several herbs like Masha (Vigna mungo), Eranda (Ricinus communis), Rasna (Alpinia galanga) etc. in a nourishing base of sesame oil. Mahamasha thailam is commonly prescribed for application over the head. It is used in countering inflammation and degeneration.
Features and benefits of Mahamasha Thailam –
- Mahamasha thailam is beneficial in the treatment of diseases of the ear and it is prescribed for the application over the head. It strengthens and revives the senses.
- The formulation is effective in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Application of Mahamasha thailam helps in the treatment of degenerative diseases.
- The oil is also prescribed in inflammatory joint disorders.
Quantity sufficient, based on the area of application.
TILA THAILAM (Sesame oil)
Sesame is an important source of phytonutrients such as omega-6 fatty acids, flavanoid phenolic anti-oxidants, vitamins, and dietary fiber with potentially medicinal effects. Sesame oil is composed of fatty acids like linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid.
MASHA (Vigna mungo)
Vigna mungo shows antioxidant, immunostimulatory, aphrodisiac, antihyperlipidemic, anticonvulsant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties.
Dasamoolam contains the roots of ten plants. They are-
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Agnimantha (Premna serratifolia)
- Shyonakam (Oroxylum indicum)
- Patala (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea)
- Brihati (Solanum indicum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Prishniparni (Uraria picta)
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris)
Dasamoola is anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, analgesic, antispasmodic, adaptogenic, antioxidant, neuroprotective, uterine tonic etc.
DHENUKSHEERA (Cow’s milk)
Cow’s milk is a good source of calcium, protein, vitamins and iodine.
KAPIKACHU (Mucuna pruriens)
The plant shows activities like antidiabetic, aphrodisiac, antiepileptic, antimicrobial activities etc.
KUSHTAM (Saussurea lappa)
It is known for its anti-ulcer, anticonvulsant, hepato protective, anti-arthritic, anti viral activities.
Cumin shows antimicrobial, insecticidal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antioxidant, bronchodilatory properties etc.
MANJISHTA (Rubia Cordifolia)
The plant has many pharmacological actions like blood purifier, anti-acne, anti-dysenteric, astringent, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective activity etc.
CHITHRAKA (Plumbago zeylanica)
The plant exhibits antibacterial, antifungal, wound healing, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory activities.
PIPPALI (Piper longum)
It shows antipyretic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
RASNA (Alpinia Galanga)
The plant has stimulant, carminative, aphrodisiac and anti-inflammatory properties. The rhizome is the part used.