Poothikasavam is a simple combination of Pootika (Holoptelia integrifolia) and the three pungents namely Dry ginger, Black pepper and Long pepper in a mildy alcoholic and sweet base of jaggery. It beautifully builds up and sustains the ‘digestive fire’ or ‘jatharagni’. Poothikasavam is an important formulation in the management of hemorrhoids, varicosity and malabsorption syndrome.
Asavas are mildly alcoholic preparations. The sweet taste makes it palatable to kids and adults alike. The alcohol base makes it quick acting and efficient.
Features and benefits of Poothikasavam-
- It invigorates and nurtures the ‘Jatharagni’ or the ‘digestive fire’. Poothikasavam improves functioning of the gut, and facilitates easy digestion and absorption.
- It sets your metabolism on track. Revives your gut biome.
- Poothikasavam is an excellent remedy for indigestion, sour belching, flatulence and abdominal bloating.
- It effectively balances the Apana Vayu in your system. It is a good carminative.
- It improves gut motility and bowel movement. Poothikasavam is widely used in managing the signs and symptoms associated with Piles, Fistula, Fissure and Hemorrhoids.
Adult: 25-30 ml Poothikasavam twice or thrice daily after food.
Child: 10-15 ml Poothikasavam once or twice daily after food.
Jaggery is known to produce heat and provides instant energy to the human body. It prevents constipation due to its laxative property and activates digestive enzymes. As per Ayurveda, eating Jaggery daily after meals improves digestion due to its Ushna (hot) property.
POOTHIKA (Holoptelia integrifolia)
The bark and leaves are used for treating oedema, diabetes, leprosy and other skin diseases, intestinal disorders, piles and sprue. A poultice of the bark and leaves is applied topically to treat boils, swellings and rheumatic pains. The bark is used externally as a treatment for rheumatism, ringworm, scabies, ulcers and scorpion stings.
SHUNTI (Zingiber officinale)
Due to its strong flavor, Ginger is an essential ingredient in many Asian cuisines. Its therapeutic benefits have been recorded in Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine. Ginger is a potent anti-nauseatic and is beneficial in treating upset stomach. Gingerol and shogaol, active components of Ginger, suppress gastric contractions. Both the fresh and dried rhizomes of Ginger suppress gastric secretion and reduce vomiting. The compounds 6-gingerol and 6-shogaol have a number of pharmacological properties, including antipyretic, analgesic, antitussive and hypotensive properties.
MARICHA (Piper nigrum)
Commonly known as black pepper, Maricha is a common ingredient in the kitchen. Its properties include Antidepressant, Antifungal, Anti diarrhoeal, Anti inflammatory, Anti mutagenic, Anti-metastatic activity. Crushed pepper with honey relieves cold and steam inhalation along with eucalyptus reduces chest congestion.