‘Kanaka’ is the Sanskrit name of the plant Datural metel commonly called the ‘Thorn apple’. Datura plant as a whole has several therapeutic benefits in lieu of its anti-spasmodic, expectorant, bronchodilator and analgesic properties.
Kanakasava is a combination of drugs that improves respiratory health and ensures ease of breathing. Arishtas and asavas are pleasantly sweet preparations in a mild alcoholic base. This makes Kanakasava palatable for adults and children alike, and quick in action.
Features and benefits of Kanakasava-
- Kanakasava is a combination of Kanaka (Datura metel), Vrusha (Adathoda vasica), Madhuka (Madhuca longifolia), Magadhi (Piper longum), Vyaghri (Solanum virgianum), Kesara (Messua ferra), Viswabheshaja (Zingiber officinale), Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum), Thalisapatra (Abies webiana), Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) and Draksha (Vitis vinifera) in a sweet and mildly alcoholic base.
- Spasm of the respiratory muscles results in difficulty in breathing and shortness of breath. Kanakasava has good anti-spasmodic properties. It relaxes the muscles and restores ease of breathing.
- It is an excellent expectorant action. Clears the respiratory pathways. Expels vitiated Kapha.
- Spasm of muscles causes pain and loss of mobility. Kanakasava is a good remedy for relieving neural pain and weakness.
- It stimulates appetite. Improves digestion. Cures indigestion and intestinal worms.
- It is beneficial in the management of wheezing, respiratory congestion and distress. Relieves inflammation and edema from the respiratory apparatus.
Adult: 25-30 ml Kanakasavam twice or thrice daily after food.
Child: 10-15 ml Kanakasavam once or twice daily after food.